Monday, July 11, 2011

Lily Of The Nile




Ello Everyone! Hope you missed me, but lets start off my long~~~~ break with a book review shall we?
So 2 days ago I took a book out of the library and I fell in love all over again. 

Lily of the Nile is about a young Ptolemaic woman from Egypt whose homeland was imperialized by Octavian also known as Augustus. Cleopatra Selene, the daughter of Cleopatra and Mark Antony was regarded with such respect in her homeland, that people actually believed her to be the resurrection of the goddess Isis also known as Artemis and Venus in other fiction tales. In this story the goddess has such a profound and deep influence on the characters, that she is regarded and seen as the harbinger of both good and bad; thus amidst the fall of Rome, her followers blames her and others seek revenge. When Selene's parents reign came to an end all of Egypt perished with the royal family while Egypt and her heirs were held captives to Rome. The Goddess Isis was no more and she was hated. Now, it is the job of Selene to change that and bring back the faith, for if not whatever essence remains of the Goddess in Rome with vanish and Rome will truly perish.

With Cleopatra and Mark Antony dead the burden of the throne and crown rested on both Selenes' and her brother Helios' shoulders. But how would they gain what they lost? and most of all how can two children defeat the ruthless Augustus?  and rebuild Rome back to its former glory? the heroine goes through a series of ups and downs.

She began to deny her faith for her fear of death took control of her every action, her need to please Augustus made her indifferent to those who she cared for and loved, but always the goddess Isis remained within her for she was the resurrection prophesied before her birth. However, her weakness was just a point of transition and as her will and strength renewed, Augustus grows weary. Selene grows stronger and this will make her the ruler of the Golden Age. However, every story has a turning point and Augustus became a piece in her game.

This story is completely different from what I have read. Selene's obedience is was her vantage point and she used it well to lure in the ruler of Rome. A great feat for a child of sixteen right? 
There is romance in the story; As we should know the Egyptians believed that royal siblings were to marry each other. However, Selene falls in love with Juba a conquered prince of Nimudia (but that does not last long as well)

I cannot go further into all the detail. It would break my heart if I spoiled it for you guys, but like I always do I'll add an excerpt:

Chapter One

Something coiled dangerously within the basket I carried, but I’d been told not to open the lid nor to ask what lurked beneath its woven reeds. The basket smelled of comforting cedar and lush figs, but it was embroidered with emblems of Anubis—the jackal-headed Guide of the Dead.
Anubis was a kind god, so I should have taken solace, but seeing him only magnified my sense of dread. Since we’d lost the war, Alexandria was quiet and filled with ill omens.
I had once been the safest child in Egypt, but the world held terrors everywhere for me now, and the twisting motion in the basket convinced me that I held treachery in my arms. I came to an abrupt halt in the middle of the avenue, beneath a marble colonnade that cast dusk shadows over the silent street. “I don’t want to carry the basket anymore,” I said.
“Sometimes we have to do what we don’t want to, Princess Selene,” our royal tutor said, daring to nudge me forward with his divination staff. That he’d poked me offended my royal dignity, but I knew better than to chastise Euphronius, for the old wizard was unusually anxious that day. The metallic scent of dark magic clung to his white linen kilt and wafted behind him as he hurried us along. He kept glancing back at the Roman guards who accompanied us at a barely respectful distance, and even though the sun was low and the evening cool, perspiration glistened on his bald head.
Euphronius lifted my littlest brother, Philadelphus, into his arms and urged us to walk faster. “Let’s hurry before Octavian changes his mind about letting you see your mother.”
I tried to keep pace, but the basket was unbearably heavy and my silvered sandal caught on the hem of my pearl-beaded gown. I heard the fabric tear but managed to regain my footing, albeit with a complaint. “I could walk faster if a servant carried the basket. Why should I have to?”
After all, I wasn’t just a princess of Egypt. Wasn’t I also queen of all Cyrenaica and Libya? I wore a royal diadem embroidered with pearls upon my brow. Why should I carry anything for myself much less something that frightened me?
“I’ll carry it for you,” my twin brother offered.
But Euphronius waved Helios away. “Princess Selene, your mother wanted you to bring the basket as an offering to your father. Will you dishonor Lord Antony by failing to provide for what remains of his soul in this world?”
Our wizard needn’t have used the blunt cudgel of guilt; the reminder that my mother had commanded me was enough to make me obey, but his mention of my dead father plunged me into a grief-stricken silence. My poor, disgraced father.
I first met him when I was four years old. He’d worn a sword on his belt, a tall horsehair-crested helmet, and sculpted armor beneath a bloodred cape; he’d terrified me. When his studded military sandals first thundered on the marbled floors, I’d cowered and cried. My mother had scooped me into her arms and told me not to fear, for my father had gifts for me and my twin, and a marriage proposal for her. The Romans were our friends and protected us, she had said.
But now I knew she had lied.
When the real Romans came—for that’s what Octavian’s men called themselves—they came to conquer. When the real Romans came, not even my father with his mighty sword could protect us, and unable to live with this failure, he plunged that mighty sword into his stalwart heart.
Now, without him, everything was crumbling. Our palace was overrun by enemy soldiers, my two oldest brothers were missing, and my mother was a captive. All I could do was stumble along behind our tutor, silenced by the enormity of our loss.
Conquered Alexandria’s spacious streets were empty. Only the awnings of the marketplace stood as a colorful reminder of the usual bustle of its merchants. Even the gold-domed temples were deserted and I wondered if the gods had abandoned us too.
“Where is everyone?” little Philadelphus asked.
“They fled,” Euphronius said curtly as we passed the rows of statuary inside the royal enclosure. “The people fled when they heard Octavian’s legions were coming. Those who stayed have shut themselves up in their homes, doors locked and bolted.”
“So only statues stand bravely before the Romans,” Helios said, and I felt him bristle. My twin’s dark mood made mine even blacker. With my heavy basket, I trudged up the marble stairs, unable to swish my skirts in the royal fashion I had practiced. There were no crowds to wave to me now anyway. We had come to my mother’s tomb where she had hidden from Octavian, but he had found her. Now it was virtually her prison.
Euphronius approached the Roman guards. “Queen Cleopatra’s children are here to see her. The honorable Octavian gave his permission.”
One of the guards searched Euphronius. He actually put his unclean hands on our wizard’s holy person. I watched, aghast, trying to ignore the curious motion within the basket, an echo of the fear that snaked around my heart. Then the ill-mannered Roman guard approached me and I held my basket out to him, hoping he’d reach inside. Hoping that whatever evil spirit lurked there would fly out and strike him dead!
But the guard sniffed dismissively and waved me through like a peasant. It was the first time, but not the last time, I realized how easily Romans discounted a girl. Of course, my mother had learned that lesson long ago.
We found my mother in her tomb beside a wax statue of my father. She was setting out a meal for his ka, as if she were but a humble wife, and not Cleopatra, Pharaoh of Egypt.
Where my skin was fair, hers was a sun-kissed copper, befitting a ruler of a desert nation. Her hair was a curious mixture; dark strands shot through with bronze. And though her features were indelicate, her coloring was that of a golden goddess. Millions of people believed that she was just that—Isis reborn.
Candlelight glittered off the gilded walls of the tomb to surround her with an ethereal glow and for a moment, I thought she was working magic on my father’s statue. The common folk said that statues imbued with ka could be brought to life, but Euphronius had told us the rest of my father’s soul must pass through the gates into the next life, and my mother had agreed.
Now she turned to us with an expression of otherworldly serenity, which only added to my alarm, for serenity was never one of my mother’s famed characteristics. She bid her servants Iras and Charmian to take the basket from me, and I surrendered it eagerly. Then she opened her arms wide. “Come.”
We ran to her.
“The soldiers are everywhere!” Philadelphus wept, for he was only six years old, and frightened.
“Don’t cry,” Helios commanded.
“It’s all right,” my mother said, gently running her fingers over my little brother’s tearstained cheeks. “Kings and queens cry with family. Hide your grief from subjects and strangers.”
“The Romans won’t tell us anything,” I said, fighting back tears of my own. “Where’s Caesarion? Where’s Antyllus? What of our cousin, Petubastes? They’re all gone from the palace!”

No comments:

A book. To love one. To respect one. To favor one. This means that you are a lover of books indeed! Welcome!